Enhancing your appearance with liposuction
The Board-Certified Plastic Surgeons at Associates in Plastic & Aesthetic Surgery (APAS) offer liposuction to patients throughout New Jersey and beyond who desire a slimmer, more toned body. If you are seriously considering liposuction and live near our Springfield or Summit office, we invite you to contact us for more information. Click here to schedule your consultation online or call us at (908) 654-6540.
Liposuction can correct unwanted fat deposits by removing excess fat and improving body contours. Liposuction may be performed on several areas of the body, including the abdomen, arms, thighs and neck. It may be performed alone or in combination with other plastic surgery procedures.
We now offer Lipotherme, the next generation laser lipolysis for body shaping.
Who is a good candidate:
- Patients who live in Union County, Essex County, or surrounding areas of New Jersey and New York
- Patients who want a more youthful and contoured appearance
- Patients who want to look and feel better in clothing or swimwear
- Patients who want to get rid of “bra bulges” above the breasts near the armpits
- Patients with localized fat deposits that don’t respond to diet and exercise
How / Where is the procedure performed?
- Liposuction is performed through one or more tiny incisions that are often times hidden in natural creases or beneath clothing lines.
- A dilute solution of local anesthesia is injected into the tissues. This advanced technique is called “tumescent” anesthesia and facilitates the lipo-contouring.
- Smaller procedures may be performed in the office with perhaps some mild oral sedation. Larger cases or those requiring IV sedation or general anesthesia are performed the hospital or accredited surgery center.
- Small cannulas are inserted into the fatty tissues and help to remove the unwanted tissues.
- We offer Lipotherme, a laser-assisted liposuctioning procedure that removes unwanted fat and also tightens the overlying skin.
What should I expect afterwards?
- A more beautiful, more contoured appearance can be seen almost immediately. Be more comfortable and confident with your new appearance.
- Some swelling is to be expected, with much improvement over the first week.
- Most patients experience only mild discomfort, and are up and walking around within a day or two.
- Most patients wear a compressive garment for 4-6 weeks, as it takes time for the swelling to fully subside and for the tissues to fully heal.
- Although the fat removal is permanent, weight gain can still occur if you don’t embrace healthy eating habits and exercise routines.
Are there risks of liposuction?
- As with any surgical procedure, adverse events may occur. Some of these include: uneven contours or surface irregularities, skin rippling, darkening or scarring of the small incision sites, sensory changes of the skin, damage to deeper structures such as nerves or blood vessels, asymmetry, infection and bleeding.
- Certain medical conditions and certain activities, such as smoking, may increase your risk of certain adverse events. Your doctor will gladly discuss your options in the context of safety and effectiveness.
- Secondary procedures may sometimes be recommended to reduce excess skin.
- Special considerations are needed when large amounts – usually more than 5 liters of fat – are suctioned.
- Liposuction is not a solution for obesity.
How much will liposuction cost?
Individual factors and patient consideration will affect cost. Your surgeon would be happy to discuss the specific information with you, so please be sure to ask. Patient financing is also available.
Request a consultation online or call us at (908) 654-6540 to schedule your appointment.