Also known as Reduction Mammoplasty
Do you suffer from upper back or neck pain? Do you have shoulder grooving from the bra straps? Are you tired of carrying all of that extra breast weight? Then you should visit with one of the Board-certified Plastic Surgeons at Associates in Plastic & Aesthetic Surgery, in Springfield, NJ.
Richard Tepper MD and Jerrold Zeitels MD have collectively treated hundreds of woman, helping them to discover the benefits of breast reduction surgery.
We invite you to Request a consultation online or call us at (908) 654-6540 to schedule your appointment.
Who is a good candidate?
- Patients with heavy or sagging breasts.
- Patients with upper back, shoulder or neck pain.
- Patients with shoulder grooving from a bra.
- Patient who also desire smaller areolae.
Did you know that studies have shown that patients who experience these symptoms despite therapy or other conservative treatments can be improved or even cured by breast reduction surgery?
- Your surgery will be performed in a hospital or fully accredited surgery center under general anesthesia.
- Incisions typically encircle the areola and extend down to the breast crease. There is often a horizontal component in the crease as well.
- You may be a candidate for a vertical reduction mammoplasty, requiring fewer incisions.
- The breast tissue and nipple area are repositioned, while excess skin and tissue are removed.
- Sutures are are typically hidden beneath the skin.
- Small drains are placed and are hidden beneath the bandages, and are removed at the first visit in 2-3 days.
- Your bandage will consist of gauze and ace bandages.
Did you know that women sometimes combine breast reduction with a tummy tuck or liposuction? Ask your doctor about how you may be able to have more than one procedure performed at the same time!
- Patients go home the same day. Insurance companies will not approve an overnight stay without a medical reason.
- However, some patients elect to stay overnight at a cosmetic rate.
- Your first follow-up appointment will be in 2-3 days, during which your bandages will be changed and drains will be removed. Bring a soft bra without underwire to that appointment.
- You may shower after that time.
- You’ll have moderate discomfort for 3-5 days and soreness for a few weeks.
- Swelling will mostly subside over several weeks.
- Patients wear a soft bra day and night for several weeks.
- Many patients experience an improvement or even a cure for their upper back, shoulder and neck symptoms.
- A more youthful appearing breast.
- Improved ability to participate in athletics and other activities.
Special Note: Sensory changes in the Nipple
Women often wonder what may happen with nipple sensation following breast reduction surgery. Some women with large, pendulous breasts may have numbness before surgery and may experience an improvement once some of the weight is removed. Other women may not experience any negative change. However, the nerves that provide sensation are often too small to see, and any women undergoing the procedure may suffer a decrease or loss of sensation.
Special Note: Breastfeeding
Breast Reduction surgery does not preclude you from breastfeeding in the future. Studies have shown that successful nursing can occur following surgery. However, since not all women can successfully nurse regardless of surgery, some women will be unsuccessful afterwards. Your doctor will gladly discuss all of your questions and concerns during your visit.
Request a consultation online or call us at (908) 654-6540 to schedule your appointment.